Amazon drops infrequent access file storage prices by 44 per cent

Image result for Amazon drops infrequent access file storage prices by 44 per centAmazon has lowered pricing for its Elastic File System (EFS) when using Infrequent Access (IA) with Lifecycle Management by almost half.

The Elastic File System Infrequent Access (EFS IA) storage class is designed for files accessed infrequently. Amazon EFS customers enable Lifecycle Management and any file not accessed after 14, 30, 60 or 80 days is automatically moved to the EFS IA storage class. enabling customers to reduce storage costs by up to a claimed 92 per cent compared to EFS Standard storage class’ $0.30/GB/month.

When it was launched in February EFS IA cost $0.045/GB/month. It is now $0.025/GB/month; a 44.44 per cent cut. An AWS blog says: “This is one of the largest price drops in the history of AWS to date!”

The AWS blogger states what’s well known; “Industry analysts such as IDC, and our own analysis of usage patterns confirms, that around 80 per cent of data is not accessed very often. The remaining 20 per cent is in active use.”

With that in mind here’s the blog’s pricing example looking at storage costs for 100TB of file data;

  • 20 per cent of 100TB = 20TB at $0.30/GB-month = $0.30 x 20 x 1,000 = $6,000
  • 80 per cent of 100TB = 80TB at $0.025/GB-month = $0.025 x 80 x 1,000 = $2,000
  • Total for 100TB = $8,000/month or $0.08/GB-month. Remember, this price also includes (for free) multi-AZ, full elasticity, and strong file system consistency.
  • Total for 100TB in EFS standard = $30,000/month, meaning a saving of $22,000/month.

EFS IA with Lifecycle Management moves files from EFS to EFS IA transparently to applications. The data is still accessible within the same file system namespace albeit with a slightly higher latency; double digit ms vs single digit ms, AWS says.

Why has Amazon reduced file storage prices so dramatically? It doesn’t say, and Blocks & Files assumed it’s competitive pressure.

[“source=blocksandfiles”]